Time on site: 0 min 0 secs

Partners
To end open defecation, we need to first break the silence.
Take action by donating your time and sharing these messages...
Open defecation is when people have no choice but to defecate outside, often in the open with no privacy.
1 billion people are forced to practice open defecation around the world.
It causes cholera, typhoid, hepatitis, polio, diarrhoea, worm infestation, reduced physical growth, impaired cognitive function and undernutrition.
Yet, nobody talks about it.
Help us break the silence.
We’re not asking for your money.
We’re not asking you to sign another petition.
We’re asking for your time.
You’ve already contributed
Keep scrolling and learn more. Every second counts.
Share
Open defecation. Unthinkable in 85% of the world. The only option in the other 15%.
Share
It is one of the clearest indications of the global sanitation crisis.
Learn more
Share
Ending the practice of open defecation can help reduce hospital visits, child deaths and missed school days.
Share
Every day children drink water that has mixed with their neighbours’ faeces.
Share
A child dies every 2.5 minutes.
Share
Diarrhoea is the third biggest killer of children under five years old in
Sub-Saharan Africa.
Share
This year, it will infect 44 million pregnant women with worms.
Share
Teenage girls leave school when they start menstruating because they have no privacy.
Share
Women face the daily threat of sexual violence.
Share
Every minute 1.1 million litres of human excrement enters the river Ganges.
Share
Lack of access to sanitation, including the practice of open defecation, costs the world’s poorest countries $260 billion a year.
Learn more
Share
Access to sanitation is critical for human development.
Share
“Sanitation is the greatest medical milestone of the last century and a half” – British Medical Journal.
Thank you.
You have contributed

Target 1: Let's reach 1,000 hours
Global contributed time: 904 hours 30 minutes 10 seconds
We need everyone to know about open defecation.
So we can end it by 2025. Help us break the silence.